It seems like everything is going to come to a head in Outlander Season 5, Episode 7 with Jamie facing the war he’s been trying so hard to avoid. But that might not be the most difficult decision our beloved Scotsman will have to make.
Back in January when we were eagerly awaiting the first Outlander season 5 trailer, we got an exciting tease that even managed to surprise book fans—Jamie in a redcoat uniform! The only information we’ve gotten about this little plotline has been that quick shot in the trailer (at 1:30 to be exact if you’d like to go back and see it).
We’re finally going to see this play out in this Sunday’s episode, “The Ballad of Roger Mac.”
Vanity Fair interviewed Sam Heughan to give us a closer look at Jamie’s new uniform and tease one of the biggest plot twists we’ve all been looking forward to!
Here are some key points from the interview:
- Jamie having to dress in the redcoat uniform was Sam Heughan’s idea. He told Vanity Fair:
"I pushed for it. I really wanted to see Jamie in this coat, because it symbolizes everything that he’s fought against—from Culloden, the British rule over the Scots, the suppression of all of their culture, and Black Jack Randall and Ardsmuir prison. It just represents everything that Jamie’s fought against."
- Sam is so connected to his character that he said he felt “real revulsion” when he first tried the costume on.
- Sam was surprised to see it was teased in the trailer as he thought it was a big spoiler, but understands “it got people talking, which is great!” It certainly got all of us talking.
- Of course Sam couldn’t say what leads Jamie to this decision, but he said this storyline is one of his favorites for his character since season one and this twist will pay off.
- I love that this was Sam’s idea. Most of the time actors don’t really provide input into scripts as that’s the job for the writers. But Outlander has always run things differently and I think this twist is genius!
- I don’t know if this was a conscious decision on the writer’s part, but Jamie in a redcoat uniform is a great contrast to him finally putting the kilt on again back in the season’s premiere episode.
- I’m really looking forward to Sam’s performance. He’s always amazing, especially with emotional scenes. All season we’ve seen his inner turmoil and his subtle reactions to things the governor or Lieutenant Knox tell him that he doesn’t agree with, but not enough where it gives him away so it’s going to be really interesting to see how he plays this.
- Speaking of emotional—I’m just thinking of Murtagh’s face when he first sees Jamie wearing the uniform of their enemy. How much more angst between these two can we take?
What do you think about Jamie wearing the uniform? What do you take from Heughan’s comments in the interview? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Outlander Season 5, Episode 7 airs on Mar. 29 at 8/7c on STARZ.